To return to chicmadesimple main page, click here.

Ask Tracy

Q:

Dear Tracy,
I just saw you on Fox and so glad I can ask someone this!! Is is too late in the year to wear a halter top? I purchased some heavy sweater halters and dark-colored sleeveless tank style tops, but just feel like it is October, hello, so too late to wear them! My pants stay dark, my wardrobe consists of black, khaki, brown and tan. I had a little girl tell me at my sons daycare "you wear the same clothes all the time!" Everything I wear looks the same! HELP!!

Thanks,
D.R.

A:
Dear D.R.,
In warmer climates such as the Deep South, perceived fashion “rules” can and need to be bent a bit for comfort and practicality. Halters are fine – year-round, in fact – just as long as they are seasonal when it comes to color and fabric. For example, you don’t want to wear a halter in a light cotton or pastel floral print, but a richly colored silk or rayon jersey is great. The wool blend halter by Elijah (pictured left) and the silk jersey version by Sky (pictured lower right) are good examples. Even chiffon can be worn if it is a Fall-inspired print, like the D&G leopard print halter pictured. The heavy sweater knit halter you described sounds perfect for the cooler seasons. When considering color, think richer, deeper. warm hues - amber, chocolate brown, sage or olive green, eggplant, peacock blue.
As for your being in the all-too-common rut of "wearing the same clothes all the time," consider a Closet Re-Vamp! We will go though your current items, create new outfits, and decide what you need to liven up your wardrobe (and show up the fashionista pre-schooler at your son's school!)
Stylishly yours,
Tracy